Thursday, January 16, 2014

The One That Started it All.... Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Ok, so I’m starting this bookblog thing with Water for Elephants, because it has started so many other things in my life as well so it seemed like a great place to start. 
First off, I’m late to the party on this book - I know that it came out a while ago (2007) and many people read it those many years ago.  I didn’t.  I read this book in the spring of 2011 AFTER hearing it was going to be a movie starring Robert Pattinson.  Yeah, yeah, I know.  Only read the book because it’s going to be a movie.  I get it, I really do.  But, you know what?  My live affairs with the book and movie are fairly separate beings.  I love this book - absolutely love it.  It had just about everything I look for in books that often become my favorites.  First off, the characters are entertaining.  I love old Jacob and he very much reminds me of my grandfather.  Even though my grandpa had Alzheimer’s when he finally went to live in a nursing home, old Jacob reminds me so much of my grandpa’s pre-Alzheimer’s spirit.  He’s funny, pig-headed, and stubborn.  All things I loved about grandpa.  Young Jacob embodies many of those same characteristics.  He is loyal to a fault and fights for what he believes in.  In my humble opinion, one of the best parts of this story.  
I read this entire book in less than 24 hours.  I literally couldn’t put it down wanting to know just what was going to happen at the end.  As a social studies teacher, I love stories that are set in some of my favorite historical periods.  The Great Depression is one such era that I find absolutely fascinating.  The true feeling of helplessness that so many people during the 30’s felt because of the lack of employment and opportunities are not something I’ve ever really had to endure, but to see how people survived such difficulties is fascinating.  The idea of circuses as forms of inexpensive entertainment during a time when people had so little is something foreign to us in this day and age.  Circuses still exist, but they’re now filled with $8 hot dogs and expensive blow up animals that kids want parents to buy at the merchandise table.  During the 1930’s for many families an afternoon at the circus was affordable even if there wasn’t much money around and everyone got something from the show.  Parents took children, but there were often adult acts as well.  Seeing into this often misunderstood life and form of entertainment was great for a history dork like myself.  
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good love story, some adventure, some heartbreak and some lively circus fun…and maybe even waking up hung-over and dressed like a clown in women’s clothing.   
Overall:  9/10  One of my favorite books I’ve ever read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment